Hi,

On Sun, Jun 24, 2018 at 7:10 AM, David McMackins <cont...@mcmackins.org> wrote:

> When I try to UPX it, I get an assertion failure. Apparently UPX has
> trouble with FreePascal executables. I think this additionally confirms
> another compiler was used.

The 8 kb existing, TP-compiled .EXE? Or do you mean newer FPC-compiled
.EXE? Since FPC (relatively) recently added an internal smartlinker to
the Go32v2 target (more crucial for Win32), those .EXEs too seem to be
resistant to UPX. But it's not a total loss anyways because the
smartlinker itself is already very good. You can still use a cmdline
switch to use the old (DJGPP) external linker, but I'm not sure if it
fully works anymore, at least for smartlinking, dunno.

Yes, I seem to get 60 kb output with latest (Go32v2) FPC. I also
compiled it with (freeware) TP 5.5 and got roughly the same size as
the existing TP .EXE. But apparently TP 5.5 didn't support $X+
extended syntax yet, so it doesn't ignore function results (line 245:
"ReadKey;"). But obviously that's easy to workaround.

Remember FPC snapshots of 3.1.1 also have i8086-msdos output, but it's
bloater (albeit much more advanced, better, bugfree, supports newer
dialect stuff, etc).