Hi Ercan

On Thu, Jul 12, 2018, 11:14 AM Ercan Ersoy <ercaner...@ercanersoy.net>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Will non-free packages (for example "cdp" package) that
> included on FreeDOS be removed for FreeDOS 1.3?

For reference, I think you are referring to this package: the command line
CD player for FreeDOS.
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/distributions/1.2/repos/pkg-html/cdp.html

When we assembled FreeDOS 1.2, Jerome and I closely watched the licenses
for every package. Everything is open source software. But not everything
is GNU GPL.

Note that FreeDOS is very old (1994) and at that time, even the GNU GPL
wasn't well known everywhere. As a result, not all old/original packages -
or packages written by devs who've been with us a long time - are under the
GNU GPL. Some use other open source licenses.

So the term "freeware" in some of the package metadata often means it uses
an open source license that isn't a standard one. I know GNU doesn't like
the term "freeware" because it can sometimes mean a program that is zero
cost but you cannot view and share source code ("non-free") - but in our
case we made sure FreeDOS 1.2 packages were open source. That should apply
to CDP.

Same in FreeDOS 1.3, everything will be open source.

So to answer your question, I don't see CDP going away (unless we made a
mistake in FreeDOS 1.2, and it's actually not open source).

I'm at a conference, so I'm on my phone, not my laptop. I'll look at this
in more detail later. But Eric is the author of this program, so he'll
probably reply here too.