Hi David,

> The EGA check does not come back positive on my VGA machine.
> Is this expected?

We suggested several: Do you mean the Pascal one suggested
by Mark, the PC Mag one suggested by Mateusz, or the ones
suggested by me? If all of them, then I would say NO, this
is not expected. If SOME of them, then I suggest that you
simply use those which work ;-)

Also, I think it is sufficient to have a good VGA test:

Only weird people like me still have EGA boards in some
dusty cardboard boxes. So you could say "either use VGA
or fall back to text mode" without risking much harm ;-)

Regards, Eric

PS: Does anybody know a computer museum? I know people with
way more exotic stuff who would be interested to SELL some!