Fecha:        sábado, 11 de agosto de 2018, 19:22:08
Asunto:       [Freedos-devel] Compiling EDIT with free software
Archivos:     <none>
--====----====----====----====----====----====----====----====----====----===--

> While I was doing something else, I went on a tangent that led me to
> look at the FreeDOS EDIT source code. I noticed some problems.

> The first of these problems is that it appears at first glance EDIT has
> a build dependency on Borland C. At least, there isn't a build script
> for any other compiler. I think it was last packaged before Watcom was
> the official preferred C compiler. I think it would be very important to
> try and port it to Watcom for the next version of FreeDOS at least.

if you think this is a problem, even a 'very important' one, you are
up to a *lot* of work as even BASE has very few programs ported to WATCOM.

everything else  (games\, devel\, archiver\, ...),  just happens to be
compilable as the last developer
liked most. in most cases it was not WATCOM.
do you really want to throw everything not compilable by WATCOM under
the bus?

deep insight offered here: just declaring something 'official
preferred C compiler' doesn't port a single program to this compiler.
it's brave developers that do the porting.

as an anecdote: in 2001, the official compiler was MSC 6.0 and MASM.
nobody cared either, and everybody used happily the (free) Turbo C 2.01
and TCPP 1.0.

> Next, it depends on the DFlat+ library, which I failed to find in the
> software archives! I have an old copy of it from the FreeDOS 1.1
> archives, but how is anyone new supposed to build this program without
> its primary dependency?
this doesn't make much sense indeed. DFlat+ is AFAIK not part of any
other program or project. it should simply be integral part of EDIT;
that's it. The same applies to FreeCOM's SUPPL library, where Bart recently
integrated it into FreeCOM :-)

> Happy Hacking,

> David E. McMackins II
> Supporting Member, Electronic Frontier Foundation (#2296972)
> Associate Member, Free Software Foundation (#12889)

> www.mcmackins.org www.delwink.com
> www.eff.org www.gnu.org www.fsf.org

after a while this lengthy self advertizing gets boring.

Tom