Hi everybody,

>> Thanks for your efforts, of course, but ... it's still got some
>> bugs. The Watcom build runs faster (oddly),

> could you please enlighten the rest of the universe in what way you
> determined that  'The Watcom build runs faster'

ok, I enlightened myself, downloaded

https://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/distributions/unofficial/metados/metados-0.6.zip

unpacked it, and made METADOS.IMG the start diskette of a virtual box.

and this behaves indeed strange and complicated.

METADOS is an example of batch processing, unzipping stuff to RAM disk,
unzipping further, and rather difficult to debug indeed :<<

first experiments, replacing the original command.com with
command 84 pre5 prerelease,

with command-turbo.exe: execution needs 1:05 minutes
(as seen by CPU time used in windows task manager) from start to
finish. there's a MEM.BAT which will fetch MEM.EXE from somewhere,
then execute it. seems to fetch indeed and work.

with command-watcom.exe, execution needs only 16 seconds.
however the directory G:\UTILS\ is never filled, MEM.BAT does not
exist, and MEM --> missing command

with command-gcc.exe, sometimes (~50%) execution ends in an endless loop,
and crashes even the virtual box, and must be killed using the task
manager.

when it finishes (~50%), execution needs only 34 seconds.
and the directory G:\UTILS\ is filled,
MEM.BAT does, MEM.EXE is fetched and executed - and crashes the
system.

indeed strange things are happening.

just to notify everybody else that I will try to narrow down this better

Tom

>>  but my TESTS.BAT

> ' my TESTS.BAT' ? are we assumed to know what that is?
> the world famous TESTS.BAT?

>>  just silently fails.

> eventually comment out 'echo off', and tell us what specifically fails

>>  And the others (Turbo and GCC) seem to later on
>> cause "Invalid Opcode".

> I have seen a lot in the last many years, but never 'seem to cause
> "Invalid Opcode"'.
> Either it does, or it does not. But certainly not 'seem'.

>> So I haven't weakly tried isolating that yet.
> it would be time to start this.

>> I get that it's brittle and complicated, but It's still frustrating not
>> knowing why.

>  Tom

Mit freundlichen Grüßen/Kind regards
Tom Ehlert