Hi,

In regards to the installer (FDI) and boot welcome messages, the problem is not
bad strings or translations.

What is lacking is configuration and mapping from UTF-8 to a DOS codepage.
Without those, the text needs to be
down converted to the standard default DOS code page character set.

As you can see. The contributed Turkish translation files in the FDI sources
contain the correct characters.
https://github.com/shidel/FDI/blob/master/CONTRIB/LANGUAGE/tr/fdi/FDSETUP.DEF
<https://github.com/shidel/FDI/blob/master/CONTRIB/LANGUAGE/tr/fdi/FDSETUP.DEF>
https://github.com/shidel/FDI/blob/master/CONTRIB/LANGUAGE/tr/fdi/KEYBOARD.LST
<https://github.com/shidel/FDI/blob/master/CONTRIB/LANGUAGE/tr/fdi/KEYBOARD.LST>

However, the ones FDI actually uses have been down-mapped to the default
codepage.
https://github.com/shidel/FDI/tree/master/LANGUAGE/TR
<https://github.com/shidel/FDI/tree/master/LANGUAGE/TR>

FDI itself can switch display font’s and for reasons I don’t feel like going in
to at the moment, it does not use
the codepage system. It uses transient bitmapped text mode fonts. A good
example of how this is handled
is to examine the Russian translations. FDI switches to and from the Russian
font easily.
https://github.com/shidel/FDI/tree/master/LANGUAGE/RU
<https://github.com/shidel/FDI/tree/master/LANGUAGE/RU>

Basically, what is needed to fully support Turkish text in FDI and the welcome
messages are the following…

Create a normal flat bitmap font file with the entire character set for the
Turkish codepage in DOS.
There are several ways to do that.

1) Provide a V8F font file. This is a streamlined bitmap font that is
compatible with V8Power Tools for
DOS’s vfont.com. This can be generated by running a normal flat bitmap font
through the simple
makeV8font utility available at:
https://github.com/shidel/makeV8Font <https://github.com/shidel/makeV8Font>

During the conversion, you will (a)pprove or (r)eject each character. Approve
only those that are actually
different from the standard characters. If you hit the wrong key, select
(p)revious to go back and change it.
Once you go through the entire 256 character set, it will create a V8F file
that contains only the approved
characters.

2) Include a TXT file. This file should contain information regarding the
origin, licensing and any other important information
regarding the created V8F file.

3) Make a SETFONT.BAT file. This file is used by FDI to load and unload the
temporary V8F font. You can probably just
modify the Russian version to utilize the Turkish V8F instead.

4) Create a SETLANG.BAT file. This file is embedded into the FDAUTO.BAT by FDI
during the installation of FreeDOS. It
should check for the required programs it needs and setup the display codepage.
It should not configure anything
else. (The keyboard setup needs removed from the Russian SETLANG.BAT)

5) Convert the existing Turkish translations to the correct DOS code page… Or
provide new ones.

And that should about cover everything needed to have proper Turkish text in
the installer and welcome text.