Hi,

> On May 18, 2020, at 7:23 AM, Emir Yâsin SARI via Freedos-devel
> <freedos-devel@lists.sourceforge.net> wrote:
>
> Hello everyone,
>
> Lately I have been translating FreeDOS utilities into Turkish, and most of
> them are merged into their respective master repositories, thank you very
> much. After submitting the translations, thraex mentioned the site
> http://freedoslocal.sourceforge.net/, in which complete FreeDOS utility
> translations can be found. But when I glance at the FDOS Github organisation,
> most of these utilities are missing, specifically:
>
> password, move, compute, pause, fdpkg, trch, htmlhelp, md5sum, tee, help, fc.
>
> Where are these utilities located? I’d like to review current translations
> and submit updated ones before the test release for 1.3. It would be splendid
> if these utilities were included within the Github FDOS organisation.
>
> Thank you,
> Emir

Well, there are a couple issues.

First, http://freedoslocal.sourceforge.net
<http://freedoslocal.sourceforge.net/> is no longer maintained.

Also, the way packages are structured does not really lend itself to doing
quick and easy updates to its language translation.

For example, lets say we have a DPRUNE v1.23.
Someone submits a spanish translation.
After we incorporate the translation, the version needs changed.
Lets say, we change it to DPRUNE v1.23b.
Now we get a Russian Translation.
Rebuild the package as v1.23c
Now, the author of the releases an update as v1.23a with either ES or RU
translations.
Ugh.

But, that is mostly just normal management headaches.

Occasionally, individuals have sent me translations for packages other than the
ones I develop. With no good place to send them at present,
I just started to funnel all translations into a new Github project at
https://github.com/shidel/fd-nls <https://github.com/shidel/fd-nls>

At present, I’m thinking of it as a new temporary home for all of them.

The best solution, is to send translations to the actual developer of the
individual project the translation was created.

I think for the time being, we may want to create a new package that just
contains all of the unincorporated language translations.
It could be updated at anytime and not require repacking any programs. Then
when the program is updated, it could include the newest translations.

Another alternative would be to remove all translations from individual
packages and put them in a language specific translation package.

IDK.

Jerome