Hi Jerome,

> Current shipping kernels 2042, not modified nor recompiled.

Shipping from where?

> FreeDOS LiveCD 1.3-RC3 (Kernel386)
> FreeDOS 1.3-RC3 x86-Floppy Edition (Kernel86)
>
> Issue occurred on real hardware, but is easily reproducible
> using VirtualBox (latest 6.1)
>
> All other data can be easily gathered by whoever is interested.

You are welcome to buy me a new harddisk so I can test your
100 GB partitions of unspecified geometry, but I have been
able to copy your kernel.sys from x86-BOOT.img to my dosemu2:

C:\>ver /r
(... message about FreeCOM version ...)
FreeDOS kernel 2042 (build 2042 OEM:0xfd) [compiled May 11 2016]

C:\>whichfat
Kernel limit: FAT16.

C:\>whichfat c:
Drive is FAT16.

Luckily my dosemu2 C: drive is not FAT32, it is virtual ;-)

So your bug is NOT a real bug. You are simply using an 8086
kernel variant without FAT32 support. Try again with an 8086
kernel variant with FAT32 support activated.

You should probably change the floppy distro to somehow prevent
the user from creating FAT32 partitions if you decide to keep
the current, FAT16-only kernel on the floppy distro.

I do wonder whether FDISK should be more explicit in warning
that your current kernel does NOT have FAT32 support. It does
have this warning here:

> Free FDISK is capable of using large disk support to allow you to
> create partitions that are greater than 2,048 MB by using FAT32
> partitions.  If you enable large disk support, any partitions or
> logical drives greater than 512 MB will be created using FAT32.
>
> IMPORTANT:  If you enable large disk support, some operating systems
> will be unable to access the partitions and logical drives that are
> over 512 MB in size.
>
> Do you want to use large disk (FAT32) support (Y/N).[Y]?

But that warning is even shown when you DO use a FAT32 kernel!

So in short, the only bug is that FDISK makes it too easy for
you to shoot your own foot by showing a big fat warning when
a smaller warning would do (FAT32 kernel running) and showing
the same, unspecific big fat warning when you are running FAT16
kernels which are utterly unable to use FAT32 drives.

Regards, Eric