Hi Charles, welcome to FreeDOS!

> Should I use Borland C or Turbo C++ or what. What version?

http://www.freedos.org/contribute/ recommends OpenWatcom C.
I suggest any current version, but preferably the DOS one.

You can use Borland / Turbo if you happen to have it or if
you want to compile things from our distro which use it at
the moment, but in the long run, we want to use only free
compilers such as OpenWatcom :-)

For 32 bit protected mode apps, you can also use DJGPP
(GNU C++/C for DOS, helps with ports) for gigabytes RAM.

People are even doing some proof of concept stuff with more
than 3-4 GB RAM, 64 bit addresses or multiple cores:

https://github.com/Baron-von-Riedesel/HimemSX/blob/master/XMS35.txt

https://www.codeproject.com/Articles/894522/The-Low-Level-M3ss-DOS-Multicore-Mode-Interface

A more "generally nice" and less "futuristic" thing would
be to add GPT partition scheme support to our kernel :-)

Note that those who use GPT often use EFI/UEFI, but it is
possible to load a CSM to get BIOS services again, at least
in theory. Some how-to for that would be useful to have.

A thread on the BTTR forum suggests to support llseek and
larger file and cluster sizes: EDR-DOS already has this,
so if FreeDOS follows, it should be in compatible ways.

> I want to write code that will work on the oldest systems

You can compile for 16 bit real mode targets in OpenWatcom,
but depending on what your apps do, you can easily require
386, protected mode and a few megabytes of RAM without shame.

For example nobody needs FAT32 DEFRAG or MP4 players on PC-XT
although you could, in theory...

You should probably only code on your Windows 10 machine if
your DOS apps are text-only and you can be sure that you do
not accidentally rely on any Windows features while testing
them. It would be better to at least run a virtual system
with DOS for the testing, or for example DOSEMU2 or DOSBOX.

Like that, you can use editors and compilers for Windows and
immediately test the result in a virtual DOS. Of course this
may not be sufficient to develop and test hardware drivers.

About the Chiron Electronic Medical Records in Australia: What
is the problem? Their Chiron license expired? Or their MS-DOS?

You can probably run Chiron on FreeDOS in the latter case, even
on new hardware. I do not know what the pros and cons would be
of a migration to Mastercare Epas. In general, DOS systems tend
to be less vulnerable to online hacks because the are offline,
although it is possible to run a DOS based server.

Regards, Eric

PS: Regarding your USB boot problem, if Ubuntu can boot, but a
Rufus-made FreeDOS stick can not, you may have to enable some
type of legacy OS support for booting the non-UEFI/-EFI FreeDOS.