On Tue, 1 Dec 2020, Ralf Quint wrote:

I used to be able to speak and understand a little bit of Japanese, as learned while doing various martial arts, but this is now 40 years ago.

And of course, the kind of Japanese used in martial arts which you would have been familiar with, the kind of Japanese used in anime which I am familiar with, and the kind of Japanese used in the computing world are all different.

(My domain, buric.co, is actually a pun on a Japanese slang term.)

Of course, my Japanese ("aa, taihen desu!" - "oh, that's terrible!") is a cutesy animesque dialect. :P (Hint: look up the term "burikko".)

But I never got a handle on the various ways of writing, something that Japanese had in common with Greek and Russian... 😉

At least Greek and Russian simply use alphabets. Japanese, with 3 writing scripts, one semi-pictographic and two syllabaries, is a nightmare.

-uso.