Hi Willy,

> On May 24, 2021, at 3:22 PM, Wilhelm Spiegl <wilhelm.spi...@mail.com> wrote:
>
> question about nls, do they all have to be written in the correct codepage
> used by the language / country set in freedos?
> some time ago i checked and noticed that this is not the fact. they are made
> in different ways, some with windows, some with linux, the result was that
> special
> characters like äöü or french or spanish accents maybe shown not correct.
>
> so first of all, what is the correct handling?

At present, the translations on the Github repository are in a “ready-to-use”
state that the appropriate program can read without issue. They should be in
the proper DOS codepage and have the correct line endings supported by the
program. Occasionally, translators supply versions in UTF-8. Generally, the
translators seem to prefer working in UTF-8. I assume it to prevent character
mangling. Anyhow when they supply those, they are just kept along side the
proper DOS codepage versions. A program that imports the latest translations
simply ignores all files ending in UTF-8.

Eventually, I’ll provide a better system to convert to/from UTF-8. I know there
are tools for the conversion. But for now, I rely on the translator to provide
the final Codepage version.

> btw, i heard nothing from Andy Stamp and help/htmlhelp and found only a basic
> update at github that did not fix most of the known bugs. what is the actual
> situation?

Back in February, he provided an update to HTMLHELP. But, I’ve heard nothing
since then. Since it is not known at this time if FreeDOS will be permanently
moving to AMB for HELP, he may have decided to postpone or cancel any
additional work on it for the time being. Like I said… I have not heard from
him in a couple months.

Since the AMB help files are created from the html help files in HTMLHELP,
those translations still need to be maintained.

> Willy

Jerome