Hi!

Forwarding this question from Paul Edwards aka mutazilah on gmail
on freedos-user, in case there are more developers here. Are there?

Given that CWSDPMI uses a different API, that DPMI16BI with RTM are
16 bit, that DPMIONE provides mainly bare DPMI, that there are other
extenders I do not know about, I would indeed be curious what the
landscape of DOS extenders is now and has been in the 1990s :-)

Regards, Eric

Hi all.

A short time ago I was made aware of this:

http://dos32a.narechk.net/manual/index.html

which is a 32-bit INT 21H AH=40H call that does
a "write". Exactly the same as 16-bit INT 21H,
except with 32-bit registers.

Given that Microsoft don't have such a thing, it
means that anyone who created such an API
got to make up registers themselves. In this case,
bx was changed to ebx etc, so everything seems
sensible.

But I'm wondering how many different variations
of this there are. Or did DOS/4GW set the industry
standard and almost everyone copied them?

In particular I'm interested to know if EMX 0.9d
copied them. I know that EMX internally uses a
32-bit a.out file, but what I'd like to know is if that
a.out file does an INT 21H above (in 32-bit
protected mode), does the EMX DOS extender
handle that (and obviously end up doing one or
more 16-bit INT 21H calls), or does EMX only
support INT 31H (DPMI) or something else?

Thanks. Paul.