Hi Ralf, developers,

>> (Eric emailed me off-list, but this is generally interesting/useful so
>> I am replying to the list)
>
> I don't know why Eric started doing this, this completely rips apart any
> threads or discussions... :(

The main topic of my off-list exchange with Jim was something
else: Jack not wanting to add UPC read support to UDVD2, being
upset about Jim hinting at a compatibility problem with UDVD2
after my OAKCDROM comparison, where I suspected that Lukas' copy
protected games might be looking for UPC data, which is one of
the notable differences between both drivers. Whether UPC checks
make sense for those games is VERY questionable, but they still
are something I would like to be tested by some DOS gamers.

So while discussing this personal topic off-list, I had
brought up the point what Jack's drivers WOULD be able to
have a FAR lower DOS memory footprint if FreeDOS had better
HMA and UMB compatibility to MS DOS and other DOS brands.

Which is a problem which has been known for years. Those
features in his drivers work well, but you can not enjoy
them on FreeDOS. DEVLOAD can be a workaround in few cases.

So we are missing out on existing features of the drivers
because OUR side, necessary kernel features, are missing.

Our utter lack of progress supporting his OLD features made
him have no plans to add NEW "gamer" features to UDVD2. That
brought me to the topic of our sourceforge trackers being of
very little use in the current state. And THAT is what Jim
had then forwarded to the list, starting this thread here.

As you can see, my original mail was to Jim and Jeremy,
also in context of bad mood caused by his sudden kernel
and shell update finalization, without enough previous
discussion. As the question whether Jeremy should be
reminded off-list about the HMA / UMB issue could be
answered by "Not needed, he answered my hint on-list", I
felt like thanking Jeremy for that and telling Jim that
the sourceforge tracker bothers me. So I wrote the the
mail shown below. For the sake of completeness, you can
now read my full mail to Jim & Jeremy quoted here. Enjoy!

I think sharing this information would not have been
necessary as a basis for discussing our tracker lists
here on the mailinglist, but it would have been more
obvious if I had started the list thread myself without
first mentioning it to Jim and Jeremy outside the list.

As you can see, I had explicitly suggested to start a
discussion about the trackers on the mailing list and
you have not really missed much before Jim did just that.

Regards, Eric