>> there is no INT 13nwith a large (32 bit) address.

>INT 13 can actually handle 64-bit addresses, both for LBA sector numbers and
>memory addresses.  Refer to INT 13.4x in RBIL.
>From DOS, though, you probably wouldn't want to use 64-bit flat memory
>addresses, but 64-bit LBA numbers are fine.

"Format of disk address packet:

10h    QWORD   (EDD-3.0, optional) 64-bit flat address of transfer buffer;
used if DWORD at 04h is FFFFh:FFFFh"

according to http://www.o3one.org/hwdocs/bios_doc/bios_specs_edd30.pdf
there is no 'optional'

any idea how reliable/wide distributed this is?
is this always available if LBA extensions are available?

however, much more important:

Get drive parameters
Entry:
AH - 48h
DL - Drive number
DS:SI - address of result buffer

2 Word Information Flags. A 1 bit indicates that the feature is available, a 0
bit indicates the
  feature is not available and will operate in a manner consistent with the
conventional Int

  bit 0: DMA boundary errors are handled transparently

will run a circle around the entire problem. should be fixed in the
kernel ASAP (well ASAP after 23+ years is kind of joke ;)
I still don't know why MSDOS is faster ...

Tom