Hallo Herr Eric Auer,

am Donnerstag, 29. Juli 2021 um 20:06 schrieben Sie:

> Hi Bret,

>>> any idea how reliable/wide distributed this is?

>> It seems to be fairly widely distributed.  I just tested in a few
>> places.  It's present in an old HP laptop (I think it's about 7 years
>> old now).  It's also present in VMWare Player and QEMU, but not in
>> DOSBox-X.

>> I also have it implemented in my USBDRIVE program.

>>> is this always available if LBA extensions are available?

>> I have no idea, but think it probably should be.  The spec has been
>> around a long time.

> Jack has commented on the topic:

it would be cool to have his comment forwarded to this list, not only
a summarized version of it (as far as you understand and think is
important).

>In short, we can assume that EDD 3.0 is widespread and that 64
>bit address support might be widespread as well, but rarely used.
is there anywhere a working sample of how to use this?

I spend more or less all day to make this 'read to XMS' trick work,
but only managed to trash the maschine.

I'm probably just doing something stupid wrong, but can't find it.

the nice thing about this is that virtual maschines boot so much
faster then real hardware from floppies ;)

Tom