Eric emailed me off-list, but I am replying back to the list to keep
the conversation together:

On Thu, Oct 14, 2021 at 3:22 PM E. Auer <e.a...@jpberlin.de> wrote:

> Hi Jim,
>
> unlike GPL, public domain would allow AMD to
> use Russ' code and add their own secret AMD
> chip specific stuff, so in a way, both
> license disclaimers would apply to it.
>
> It would be a good idea to ask Russ what
> has happened in that direction for which
> of the drivers.

Louis also suggested it would be a good idea to check in with Russ, so
I've emailed him.

I also grabbed the most recent copy of Russ's packet drivers, to make
sure nothing had changed. I see the same license info conflict there
from before, so the issue is in the original code published by Russ
(confirming this was not added elsewhere).

I'm hoping to hear back soon. I'll share any updates from Russ.

Jim