On Mon, Jan 10, 2022 at 5:03 AM Liam Proven <lpro...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Oh cool! I knew the editor but not the connection. Thanks!
[...]

Yup, it has a long history. And as Steve already mentioned, GNU Nano
is a clone of Pico.

- Nano and Pico are both small measurements.
- Pico stands for "PIne COmposer"
- Pine was an email client from the University of Washington
- Pine stands for "Pine Is Not Elm"
- Elm ("ELectronic Mail") was a more user-friendly and feature-rich
version of the standard Unix 'mail' program

So when you use Pico (or Nano) you're basically using something that
derived from email. And it's a reminder that some programmers like
cute names for things.

Someone had asked me if FreeDOS 1.3 RC5 included editors, especially
Pico, so I recorded a video about installing and using Pico on
FreeDOS. That video will "go live" on January 16 (I post new videos
about once a week, usually on weekends).

Jim