Thanks for quick reply.

So too big, how big can I go and the CMD line (in FreeDOS) to
achieve some sort of FAT12 drive (for my USB stick D:\ partition)?

For FORMAT testing, I have FAT12, FAT16 and FAT32 drives in my
DOSEMU2 installation. Those are created by manually changing the
partition types in diskimage files, which is a bit of an insider
trick, but you should be able to do the same with FDISK on real
hardware :-) My FAT12 drive is a bit smaller than 8 MB, the FAT16
and FAT32 drives are both circa 32 MB each. Note that there are
different partition types for < 32 MB and > 32 MB and for CHS
and LBA. I recommend that you use LBA where available.

You can have FAT16 drives with up to 2 GB (4 GB with the non-standard
64 kB cluster size) and FAT32 drives must be at least 32 MB and at
most 2 TB (Terabytes) for MBR partitioned drives with 512 bytes per
sector. FreeDOS does not yet support other sector sizes and although
a few bits of code are available, it does not yet support GPT style
partitioning in the kernel. I think Bret's USB drivers do support
GPT partitioned USB storage media, but you will probably hit other
DOS limitations when attempting to have more than 2 TB in a single
drive letter.

Anyway, for your FAT12 question, create a partition of FAT12 type,
then format that. Because the distinction below/above 32 MB (64k
sectors) and CHS/LBA does not exist in FAT12 partition types, you
should probably assume hat it has to be CHS < 32 MB, even though
the theoretical limit is 128 MB (4000+ clusters of 32 kB each).

In general, I recommend cluster sizes up to 4 kB, so you would
keep your FAT12 drives below 16 MB and your FAT16 below 256 MB.
For larger drives, FAT32 is a better choice, in particular if you
have mostly small files. Remember that every file is rounded up
to whole clusters when it comes to disk space allocations.

Drives and/or BIOS will often support access with 512 byte sector
size, so you probably will not have to worry about the lack of 4k
sector size support in FreeDOS. However, you will often see GPT
partitioned drives on modern hardware - see above - and UEFI only
systems without a BIOS or CSM (compatibility layer to provide BIOS
interface on UEFI systems). You cannot run FreeDOS directly on such
hardware yet.

There is a small discussion about how to use open source CSM or
BIOS implementations to potentially run DOS on 2022 computers at
the moment, but no succes stories to share yet :-)

Regards, Eric