On Thu, May 12, 2022 at 8:56 PM Gregory Pietsch <gpiet...@comcast.net> wrote:

> I'm thinking of editing Edlin to match historical behavior after
> downloading a 1982 IBM DOS manual and a 1987 Microsoft OS/2 manual I
> found floating around the 'Net. I want to make Edlin still the small
> program it has always been without adding things that would make the
> executable super-huge, so I want to get some feedback from the list
> before I do anything. The things I am considering are below:

My thoughts:

> 1. At the beginning of the program, when Edlin reads the file whose
> name is on the command line, the historical thing to do is output
> "End of input file" if the entire input file has been slurped in or
> "New file" if the file does not exist yet. FreeDOS Edlin just runs the
> same code as the T command to slurp the file in and give the output
> of that command, which is the number of lines read.

I think "New file" is good when you're starting a new file. But "End
of input file" isn't very helpful information. I prefer "X lines read"
if it's an existing file. That way, I will know if Edlin read my file
correctly.

> 2. The IBM DOS manual adds "#" as the line number that's one beyond
> the last line. This should be an easy add that doesn't change existing
> behavior.

That's a nice feature that I'd forgotten about. Yes, that makes sense.

> 3. The historical behavior for the Q command is to always verify that
> the user wanted to quit the program with an "Abort edit (Y/N)?" message.

I think it's always a good idea to verify that the user wants to quit.
Yes, this sounds good to me.

> 4. Historically, the E command erased any backup copy (i.e. the file
> with the .BAK extension) after writing and before quitting. I don't
> know if I want to emulate this behavior.

I'll sometimes make a backup copy of a file before I edit it, so I
might copy FDAUTO.BAT to FDAUTO.BAK before I edit the file, so I can
backup copy on its own, just because it had the same "*.BAK"
extension. I prefer Edlin not delete files.

Jim