Looking ahead to "FreeDOS Next," I wanted to continue the conversation
again about test releases for FreeDOS. Before, I called this idea a
"rolling release" - but that's not the right term. So that might be
why the last conversation on this topic didn't go anywhere.

*Where we are now:

We use a point release model for the FreeDOS distribution, where we
specifically label each distribution. Skipping the "alpha" and "beta"
releases, we've had FreeDOS 1.0, 1.1, 1.2, and 1.3 (and several
"Release Candidate" versions in between, such as FreeDOS 1.3 RC1, 1.3
RC2, 1.3 RC3, 1.3 RC4, and 1.3 RC5).

DOS doesn't change much, so our releases have been spread out over
time. But in that time, developers release new versions of their
programs. So between each distribution release, a bunch of individual
packages will get updated. But in the current model, most folks have
to wait until the next full distribution to see those changes.

I'd like to make it easier for everyone to test the latest version of
everything.

*Short version:
We keep the "point release" model, but add a parallel "test"
distribution that gets updated once a month. (Could be some other
cadence, I'm suggesting monthly because that seems like a good balance
to me.)

*My thoughts:

I'm interested in a parallel test distribution that gets updated on a
regular schedule, by an automated (or mostly-automated) process. Let's
say there's a new test distribution once a month. Each test
distribution contains everything in the distribution that's current
when it was built: packages, installer, translations, documentation,
etc.

For example, imagine monthly test distributions called "FreeDOS Test
Build 2022-07," "FreeDOS Test Build 2022-08," FreeDOS Test Build
2022-09," ... you get the idea. These don't have a "1.3" or other
version number on them, only a test build label.

*How we would use this:

We can leave FreeDOS 1.3 distribution as the *stable* release, and
continue to make changes in the test distribution.

Developers use the monthly test distribution if they want to test
interoperability with other recent packages. Folks who want to test
can always find the latest version to experiment with. Translators
have the latest version. Documenters have the latest version. And so
on.

The test release label will make it easier to track bugs. "This bug in
(program) was reported in FreeDOS 1.3, but that problem in (program)
was fixed since then. Download the latest FreeDOS Test Build and see
if that fixes it."

At some point in the future (let's use July 2023 as an example) we
might decide "there haven't been significant changes in the FreeDOS
test releases in the last year .. we've only seen package updates, no
big distribution changes .. let's make a 'FreeDOS 1.3 Update1' release
with the new changes." And then we can promote "FreeDOS Test Build
2023-07" as "FreeDOS 1.3U1 RC1" and go through the testing. Bug fixes
becomes "FreeDOS 1.3U1 RC2," and so on. When testing looks okay, we
can release "FreeDOS 1.3U1" with very little effort.

Or, maybe we instead decide (let's stick with February 2023 as an
example) "there *have* been a bunch of structural changes, but it's
looking good." Maybe we've trimmed down the packages, maybe we've
changed the installer, or whatever other changes happen in the FreeDOS
test distributions. And we get to a point where we decide "this is
looking good, I think we can release this as '1.4' or '2.0'." And then
we can promote "FreeDOS Test Build 2023-07" as "FreeDOS 1.4 RC1" and
start testing. Changes go back into the monthly test release, so
"FreeDOS Test Build 2023-08" becomes "FreeDOS 1.4 RC2," and so on
until we finally release "FreeDOS 1.4."

I think the monthly test release would need to display a big red
dialog box when you boot it, saying something like:

: This is a test distribution release intended only for testing the
: latest changes in FreeDOS, and could be unstable. This is not an
: official FreeDOS distribution. If you want the official distribution,
: please download FreeDOS 1.3 from www.freedos.org

The idea is that anyone who downloads the monthly test release should
immediately recognize that this is not the stable distribution.

Jim