Hi! Great to see that 386MAX became open source, thanks! :-)

Also inspired by

https://www.theregister.com/2022/06/30/software_freedom_conservancy_quits_github/

you could consider using for example gitLAB instead, if you like
GIT in general, but have troubles with gitHUB in particular?

https://about.gitlab.com/

Regards, Eric

PS: Regarding Jim's search and replace suggestion, I like
to add the twist to use "touch" to "copy" the timestamp to
a /tmp/tstamp file, then use sed -i for in-place-edits and
then copy back the change time from the temp tstamp file.

My problem is not with making the changes, it's with uploading the changed files.  Unfamiliar with Github as I am, the only way I saw to upload files is through their "Add file/Upload files" method.  This limits me to 100 files and some small number of MBs per upload.

This project has 580+ dirs, 4800+ files, and 200+ MB of data.