On Sat, Sep 3, 2022 at 6:01 AM Jerome Shidel <jer...@shidel.net> wrote:

> Interesting.
>
> Lately for compatibility reasons, I’ve been using Firefox (104.0.1)
> more for stuff on macOS. I have not noticed an issue. If it has been
> a little while since I visited a page (like on the download repo),
> it will automatically refresh it. However, if I visit one of those
> pages, push an update and go pack to that page, the old data is
> displayed. Because of normal caching, it is expected. I’ll just
> click the refresh button and it will fetch the new page.

FWIW, you can also Shift-Reload to force Firefox to load a new page,
overriding cache. That is, hold down the Shift key on your keyboard
and click the Reload button. (The keyboard shortcut is Shift-Ctrl-R.)

> I’m far from an expert on FireFox. Perhaps there is a setting that
> is causing your browser to not automatically update the page (even
> when it has been a month since your last visit).

I did a few experiments with the FreeDOS website (www.freedos.org),
the FreeDOS Files Archive (ibiblio.org) and Jerome's website (lod.bz).
Ibiblio doesn't set a preferred cache time, the other two do. I
understand that without a cache directive from the web server, cache
store length is up to the client - making a guess (based on Paul's
experience), maybe Firefox tries to hold onto the cache for a very
long time.

examples:

The FreeDOS website sets a cache age of 600 seconds (10 minutes):

> Cache-Control: max-age=600

Ibiblio doesn't include cache directives: [full server response]

> HTTP/1.1 200 OK
> Date: Sat, 03 Sep 2022 11:34:35 GMT
> Server: Apache
> Last-Modified: Fri, 02 Sep 2022 10:57:25 GMT
> Accept-Ranges: bytes

Jerome's site says "caches of any kind (private or shared) should not
store this response" (no-store) but that is overriden by "the response
can be stored in caches, but the response must be validated with the
origin server before each reuse" (no-cache). And "the response can be
stored in caches and can be reused while fresh" (must-revalidate).

> Cache-Control: no-store, no-cache, must-revalidate, post-check=0, pre-check=0

more info:

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/HTTP/Headers/Cache-Control