Hi,

On Mon, Dec 5, 2022 at 8:58 AM Bret Johnson <bretj...@juno.com> wrote:

> FWIW, the one I use is also called TED and is an old utility from PC
> Magazine.  The executable is only about 3 kB
> (way smaller than the EDLIN that comes with MS-DOS) and is a VERY basic text
> editor with a TUI
> (it's not a line-oriented interface like EDLIN so is more intuitive to use).
> It gets the job done efficiently for things like
> editing CONFIG.SYS & AUTOEXEC.BAT.

I used e3-16 (Wordstar keys) since it was super tiny (roughly 3 kb),
but it was limited to CR+LF files and max 32 kb, which is imperfect.
But for boot disks it was great in a pinch.

Besides executable size (and license, ugh), you also have to worry
about key bindings. I also like SteVIe (a vi clone), which is quite
good in various ways. My normal favorite TDE also has a real-mode
version, but I probably wouldn't prefer that (nor even an older
version) for floppies.

You really don't want a 160 kb editor on a floppy (unless you copy it
to a RAM disk).