On Tue, 24 Jan 2023, Bret Johnson wrote:

> For purposes we're discussing here, I don't think DOSBox (or any of its
> forks, including vDOS) is a viable solution.
>
> DOSBox really isn't DOS.  It's an environment designed to run certain
> DOS applications.  A lot of stuff is missing in DOSBox that's needed to
> make it a "real enough" DOS to be used for development and testing.
> E.g., a lot of the internal structures that some DOS "extenders" need to
> look at (like certain TSRs and Device Drivers) simply don't exist on
> DOSBox.

You can install FreeDOS in DOSBox.  See the links below for more details.  In
my experience qemu and VirtualBox are not really geared toward supporting DOS
and they have annoying BIOS bugs that are not present in DOSBox.  So while
FreeDOS runs more quickly in qemu and VirtualBox, it runs more accurately in
DOSBox-X.

https://dosbox-x.com/wiki/Guide%253ADOS-Installation-in-DOSBox%25E2%2580%2590X

https://dosbox-x.com/wiki/Guide%253AManaging-image-files-in-DOSBox%25E2%2580%2590X