On 2/20/2023 1:52 PM, Aitor Santamaría wrote:
Hello Eric,

More than useable, it was just a question of historical curiosity.

In a very long time ago posted thread  (I haven't tested myself) it was suggested that the redirector API does not work well with LFNs. I am not suggesting that the unmaintained DOS IFS would do, but I was curious to know how do these two different approaches to third party filesystems (redirector and IFS) compare to each other, and how they both deal with: LFNs, case sensitivity, unicode names, big files, and a long etc.

That is not very surprising, as the DOS network redirector was devised well before long filenames became a thing with Windows 95B. And I do recall that even with MS-DOS and early Windows clients, there were filename issues when accessing OS/2, as that was IIRC one of those "extended attributes" that OS/2 introduced, similar to what at the same time became the additional attributes supported by NTFS on Windows NT 4.0 and subsequent Windows versions... (just for example, DOS maintains only one single date for a file, "Time modified", while on NTFS and OS/2, you have additionally, "Time created", "Time access" as well. And of course all the permission stuff, which just didn't exist in DOS as a single user, single tasking OS...

Ralf