On 2/23/2023 9:44 AM, Liam Proven wrote:
On Wed, 22 Feb 2023 at 23:12, Ralf Quint <freedos...@gmail.com> wrote:
I was jogging my memory a bit, and there was a specially NLM that needed
to be loaded on NW3.12 and NW 4.0 at least to get "long filename
support".
That's right. I believe it was called `OS2.NLM` because the support
Novell had already implemented for OS/2's long file names worked fine
for newer clients as well.
Well, it was OS2.NLM for Netware 3.1x up to 4.10, for 4.11, they named it LONG.NLM. I think starting with Netware 5.0, it was a build-in module, no need to load a special name space anymore. But by that time, the easy use of Netware was gone....
IIRC, and this is fainter, there was a different `MAC.NLM` for classic
MacOS support, which did rather more -- both data and resource forks
-- and you were recommended _not_ to try to use that one.
Yeah, that one I remember wasn't very popular, when thinking about that one, actually old "MC Hammer" comes into my head, "can't touch that"... đŸ˜›

AIUI, Netware's native filesystem didn't actually have subdirectories.
It was flat and used hashing to simulate a hierarchical filesystem for
clients.
Don't recall anything like this. Also hard to imagine, given the way how they handled permissions. After all, you wouldn't even see sub directories you didn't have the rights to access (one of the stupid things in Windows,). IIRC, when trying once to do some data recovery on a Netware drive with the help of some folks at Compaq, it was very similar to a FAT filesystem. Novell never published any technical info about the file system and the guys at Compaq could only give me hints over the phone, they had tech info from Novell but were not allowed to share anything in hard copy from that...

A low-priority task for me is to get a Netware server running again. I
have a copy of Netware 6.8 SP $last sitting around somewhere, but
foolishly, when I worked for Micro Focus, I failed to obtain a staff
licence key for it. >_<
I never used anything past 4.11, they tried to compete too much with NT Server at that time already and everything from 5.0 and up was a hot mess. Might have to check if anyone ever continued to work on MARSNWE, which looked promising for a while until the original author dropped it. Just saw that a couple of years ago, it had been put up on GitHub (GitLab?)

Have a server (I think it's a 486 with 16MB RAM and something like a 1.2GB data drive), running a 10 user Netware 3.12, sitting hidden in my storage, something like this would be a great "companion" to FreeDOS...

Ralf