Hi Louis,

> On Mar 23, 2023, at 5:32 PM, Louis Santillan <lpsan...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Don’t blackout and bootsplash do something like this?
>

> https://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/util/boot/blackout/
>
> https://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/util/boot/bootsplash/

Just to make sure I was not wasting my time, I looked at the readme files for
those. Bootsplash looks like it is just a tweaked version of blackout. Blackout
itself tries to provide a boot graphic like Windows and suppress device driver
messages. I did not bother to try running them and don’t know if they bother
animating the the graphic not. If I were making a boot splash splash screen, it
would be animated.

Regardless, this is absolutely not the functionality desired. Other than some
startup messages, you won’t even know it is running.  Development is going
well. It is actually two programs. LOGGER.SYS is the device driver and LOG.COM
(may change it to LOGGER.COM) to interact with the driver.

Basically, you load the driver after your memory managers (HIMEM & EMM or
equivalent). The driver will then log all messages to XMS memory. Later on,
LOG.COM will tell the driver to stop logging. LOG.COM will also be able to save
the logged information, clear the log and start (or stop) logging again. Maybe
add log viewing in color as well at some point.

At present, the driver loads and takes control of what it needs, tests for XMS
and allocates memory. The interface program can find and talk to the driver.

Next up, is capturing a decent log. Then, add printing/saving that log to the
interface program.

Finally, add command line option support to both. For the driver, that would
permit adjusting the XMS memory allocated for the cyclic log buffer. For the
interface program, to perform the basic interaction stuff.

Although, there a a couple things in the driver I may just outsource to the
interaction program to reduce the memory footprint a little. I haven’t decided.

:-)

Jerome