A couple tips.  If you only need 100MB or so, you can mount and work
on the USB image like
(https://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/distributions/1.3/official/FD13-FullUSB.zip)
like so.

```
# sudo mount -tvfat -o loop,offset=32256 FD13FULL.img /mnt/target/
```

There used to be a boot.bss or some such mbr backup file.  I don't
know which package that was.  I know one gets built when you build the
kernel.  With that bootsector & mtools installed on Linux, you can
write boot sectors to drives (https://linux.die.net/man/1/mformat)
with mformat.