On Fri, 28 Jul 2023, Jose Senna via Freedos-devel wrote:

While I am just an user, I also think that a
GUI for DOS is not an important improvement.
As Liam Proven, I think that a shell that
is a good app launcher, file manager and
provides fast task switching with a small
memory footprint would be much more useful.
Since DOSShell was available In MS-DOS 5,
that would also be more in line with the
goal of making FreeDOS fully compatible
with MS-DOS.

For what it's worth:

DOSSHELL was introduced with PC DOS and MS-DOS 4.00, written by IBM. With MS-DOS/PC DOS 5, Microsoft rewrote it from scratch. MS-DOS 6.2 moved it to the supplemental disk, but PC DOS kept it in the main system until the end (PC DOS 2000 will still install it by default).

-uso.