> Sure, thanks. Possibly the Book 8088 BIOS is deficient
> and Freedos is relying on that (while MSDOS 6.22 is not).

I thought of another possibility.

I think the Freedos VHD I use was created under Windows 7.
And probably partitioned there too. I can't remember if I
repartitioned it under Freedos, but I would have at least
formatted it under Freedos I think.

Regardless, I would expect that the CHS values are all
faked by whatever emulation was in place at the time.

So long as the BIOS supports LBA, that doesn't matter.

But if not, I think in PDOS/x86 I do a disk geometry query
rather than trusting the values in the boot sector. For hard
disks, not floppy disks. I can look up the rules I implemented
if required, but I don't remember at the moment.

But anyway - if Freedos is fooled by invalid geometry because
the hard disk was created in a foreign machine, that MIGHT
be an alternative explanation for the failure to boot.

BFN. Paul.