Hi,

On Wed, Nov 8, 2023 at 2:21 AM Walter Oesch via Freedos-devel
<freedos-devel@lists.sourceforge.net> wrote:

> I want to build the FreeDOS Kernel.

Kernel 2043? Any particular reason to not use the stock build? Did you
modify anything or add any patches? Just curiosity?

> I use Dosbox in Ubuntu Linux and watcom comiler from FreeDOS, version 1.9.

Which version of DOSBox? 0.74-3? Which Ubuntu? 20.04 LTS 64-bit?

OpenWatcom can also run natively atop Linux. The old 1.9 installer had
a bug where it needed "export TERMINFO=/lib/terminfo" first. You could
also probably unzip it and manually install. (I assume it has a Linux
makefile somewhere. It also had a MinGW makefile, IIRC.)

You also need NASM and UPX. (You might need one older [or newer??]
than 2.16.01.)

> I changed config.b to use watcom and copied to config.bat, then start with
> buildall.bat.
> The compilation hangs in BOOT/boot.asm:437 Warning Must update constant
> offset (17Bh)...
>
> What did i wrong?

I don't know, but I'm not sure DOSBox is recommended (or even
supported) for this kind of task.

The only times I really rebuilt the kernel were atop FreeDOS itself
(under QEMU or VirtualBox).