> On Wednesday, March 20th, 2024 at 10:09 AM, Jim Hall via Freedos-devel
> <freedos-devel@lists.sourceforge.net> wrote:

[..]
> > What to do about the "Networking How-to"? This is a collection of
> > pages that wasn't written as a typical "wiki" page (every page in a
> > wiki should stand on its own, with links to other pages for more info)
> > but as a series of pages that follow step 1, step 2, .. etc.
> >
> > Should I just copy/paste those pages into the new wiki, or move them
> > out into a new kind of "how-to" article?
> >
> > We have another collection of pages for an "Installation Guide" and I
> > have the same question there.
> >

> > Related:
> >
> > I (and others) wrote a bunch of articles about FreeDOS for
> > Opensource.com before they stopped publishing (about a year ago).
> > Opensource.com is still up, and I'd like to copy/paste the FreeDOS
> > articles into a website that we control in case Opensource.com goes
> > away. At least the articles I wrote, and I can ask permission of other
> > authors if I have their contact info.

[..]

> > Should I just copy/paste those into the new wiki, or should I create a
> > new website to republish these, like a howto.freedos.org website .. or
> > maybe a "howto" directory on the new wiki website (but outside the
> > "wiki" itself) like wiki.freedos.org/howto .. or a "howto" directory
> > on the main website, like www.freedos.org/howto .. what's the best
> > plan?
[..]

On Wed, Mar 20, 2024 at 1:50 PM Mercury Thirteen via Freedos-devel
<freedos-devel@lists.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> Personally, I'm a big fan of keeping information in one easy to access
> place. If it were me, I would put the articles in their own section
> on the wiki under a helpful title, where they could also be linked to
> from other articles in the wiki, e.g. an article on how to install
> FreeDOS could link to How-Tos detailing how one would partition and
> format their drive. I'm no SEO expert by far, but I would think that
> the fact that the articles are not simply copy-pasted but are also
> linked to from other pages on the site - not to mention that there
> is a ton of other content on the wiki, making it more than a simple
> copy-paste ripoff of the source site - would mitigate the down-ranking
> which Google et al. may otherwise do.

I'm definitely a fan of not adding more work for myself. :-)

Adding the how-to articles inside the wiki seems like a good idea,
then. And that way, it keeps all documentation in one place. Maybe
I'll create a "parent" entry like "Howto" and copy/paste all the other
how-to articles under that so you have paths like
wiki.freedos.org/Howto/(topic) or whatever.