Hi,
First, this question is better asked in the developer list (if not in the
user list).
Anyway, comments embedded.

Cyl...

[..]
> I am building an embedded FreeDOS based system,

Good to know.

> with a custom boot manager
> in the MBR area of the primary disk.  I have seen a boot loader
> (boot32ea.asm) that the author claims can boot a FreeDOS partition beyond
> the 8GiB/1024 Cyl limit.
>
> However, to start with I have been experimenting with installing
> FreeDOS on
> a FAT32 partition, and not having much luck.   The procedure I am
> using is :
>
> ------
>
> In Linux -->
>
> dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda bs=512 count=63 (kill trk0)
> fdisk the system to make a 16MiB partition on /dev/hda1,
> filesystem type 0x0b

Are you creating a 16 _megabyte_ FAT32 partition?
Or a 16 _gigabyte_ one?

> mkdosfs -F32 /dev/hda1

Though mkdosfs didn't refuse to make such a little FAT32 partition, standard
DOS may refuse to create/use FAT32 partitions under 32.5 MiB (66600
sectors), and by default uses FAT16 for partitions under 512MiB (1048576
sectors).

> Install custom Boot Manager into the MBR of /dev/hda
>
> <reboot>
>
> In FreeDOS -->
>
> Downloaded the latest FreeDOS (2033) kernel32, and created a boot floppy
> with it.
> Boot the boot floppy.
> At the prompt : sys c:

This destroyed your custom boot manager, replacing it with the FreeDOS
default one.

> At this point sys claims that it is updating the volume boot record and
> copies over kernel.sys and command.com.  HOWEVER, when this occurs it
> reports that the filesystem is "FAT16" and the filesystem is then
> corrupted.

Yes, SYS can suppose it's a FAT16 partition if it's too small.

> So ..
>
> 1) How do I install FreeDOS w/ FAT32 support on a FAT32 partition?  (Do I
> need a different "SYS" utility?)

Try with a bigger partition (at least > 32.5 MiB, better if > 512 MiB).

> 2) I tried formatting /dev/hda1 (C:) with the 0.91o FORMAT
> utility, however
> it would only attempt a FAT16 format under FreeDOS (2033/Fat32).  What is
> needed in order to get the FreeDOS native "format" utility to produce a
> FAT32 filesystem?

A bigger partition.

Ciao.