Salve,

As I again don't receive messages from the kernel mailing list, I again had to wade through the web interface to find the critics below, and suddently SF said it's in read-only mode, so I guess it's in big trouble now :-(

I'm sorry but I think that's a hack^2. Since you have absolutely no
guarantee that Borland C won't use EAX anywhere else and not in the future
either. There really should be push/pop wrapper somewhere instead,
using the Protect386Registers and Restore386Registers asm macros defined
in hdr\stacks.inc

The question is now, where does eax get destroyed? Did you double check
if entry.asm includes them for your configuration (%ifdef I386). Or
perhaps all that is needed is that the high parts need to be cleared
after calling a device driver or somewhere else?

I didn't check because I don't know what to check. Browsed entry.asm and understood nothing. Do apply your ideas and I'll be serving as a "live compiler", as I'm obviously only good for that.

My god - what a sad story.

boot a kernel that works.
load device=softice.
insert floppy with bad kernel.

SIce>boot

SIce still is in memory, and will popup at the faulting instruction,
or you can insert some int(3) to trace the offending code.

Sorry, Tom - as you know, I've never been a professional programmer, only an amateur here... Actually, I'm an electronics engineer and never studied programming or "computer science" ;-)

don't like it that way.
EAX register may be used next week by a different function, or Arkady
optimizes the memcpy() functions, and the error pops up again.

I'd propose to add/fix some Borland RTL library to handle this issue.
probably not too much work, as the only used functions are
xxxMUL32/xxxDIV32 and they are fairly short.

Is it the RTL or the compiler itself?! How dares Datalight use it for their ROM-DOS, written just like FreeDOS in 95% C, 5% assembler?!

Sorry, guys - "FECI QUOD POTUI, FACIANT MELIORA POTENTES!"

Lucho

------------------------------------------------------- The SF.Net email is sponsored by EclipseCon 2004 Premiere Conference on Open Tools Development and Integration See the breadth of Eclipse activity. February 3-5 in Anaheim, CA. http://www.eclipsecon.org/osdn _______________________________________________ Freedos-kernel mailing list [EMAIL PROTECTED] https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/freedos-kernel