On Mon, 22 Mar 2004, tom ehlert wrote:

> AVB> (BTW, is "protection"
> AVB> from wrapping HMA pointer into IVT by replacing wrapping into start of HMA
> AVB> worth of code?)
> a working kernel is worth a lot of code (even if you don't see the
> reason immediately)
>
> HANDS OFF THE KERNEL, please.

in the end it was just easier to remove add_far() and use
buffer = adjust_far(buffer + offset).

The only users are dsk.c and fatfs.c, where this is safe as long as you
normalize the pointer before the loop.

Which it was in fatfs.c but not in dsk.c.

For the HMA. Yes, hands off: we do often read things (indirectly) into
the HMA, there are BUFFERs there for instance.

Maybe, just maybe, we're safe now with removing HMA logic from adjust_far()
-- but it's way too easy to break this and will lead to bugs that are hard
to solve.

The current CVS kernel now has a 450 bytes smaller HMA_TEXT than ke2033 :)

Bart