At 10:31 PM 3/27/2004 +0100, Bernd Blaauw wrote:
>  so this means?:
>  *check once if CPU can handle HLT instruction properly ("choke" means
>"dies" -> crash!).
>  *if so, set a variable or bit or whatever
>  *int28 handler: if bit set, execute HLT instruction
>
>  someone said  EMM386 is incompatible with HLT instruction?

EMM386 uses the HLT instruction for its own purposes, but it does a check if the HLT
is coming from itself or externally.  Other than that, it looks like HLT causes the
expected HLT behavior when the exception handler is triggered (since HLT is V86
illegal).  Tom Ehlert would probably know the most about this if you need more info,
since I believe it's his coding for the HLT mechanism in EMM386.