On Sun, 9 May 2004, Eric Auer wrote:

> why did you only mention in THIS mail what the MEANING of your patches
> is? You normally send a mail with subject like "patch: filename.c" and
> then there is ONLY the patch, zero explanation of any kind, nobody except
> you will know what you are trying to tell us and why your patch is supposed
> to improve things. So please 1. send some description along with the diff
> and 2. comment the changes in-line before you run diff and 3. tell us why
> the patch is good and whether you expect it to be good for all compilers or
> only for one certain compiler.

Agreed except with 2.: I don't like commenting your change in-line. This
produces very noisy code. Comments should tell why the code does something
not what it does differently from what it does before.

Otherwise you get code like:

  foo(); /* this call added by Eric Mar 2003 */
  bar(); /* changed by Tom Apr 2002 */
  baz(); /* bart changed this from hat() in June 2001 */

> About Barts decision to take a break from FreeDOS kernel development:
> Could you please try to stabilize the current CVS version as 2034a release?

I can try but the fixes will need to be isolated first from the patches
that are floating around. Also I seem to have requests to:
a) repair the EECHO command in config.sys so that it really works.
b) disable the EBDA-move by default
c) move the EBDA-move to after loading device drivers.

Well implementing and testing all that will take quite a bit of time so I
can't promise much right now.

Bart