On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 13:44:33 +0300 (MSK), Arkady V.Belousov
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> 30-ÐÐÑ-2004 02:31 [EMAIL PROTECTED] (9000 VAX) wrote to
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]:
>
> 9V>   I am developing a hobby project where freedos kernel might be a nice
> 9V> fit. There are CPU (80188), memory (256K,  512K, or even 1M if
> 9V> needed), one serial line and IDE (barely some I/O ports?)  or SCSI
> 9V> (this is ready on my board) interface on board. Now I want to hook an
> 9V> HD with FAT file system to the board. The board will have a small bios
> 9V> to load a program from the HD and execute it. The program will then
> 9V> use the HD to hold configuration files and to store some data. A FAT32
> 9V> file system is super, but a FAT16 is OK if FAT32 is difficult.
> 9V>   My question is whether this goal is feasible *to me*. I can
> 9V> trim/integrate/modify pre-existing codes.
>
>      Until mentioned board contains BIOS, which follows all specifications,
> you may use FD without any modification. On the other side, if under "hook
> and HD" you mean "hook on the fly", then you can't - neither standard
> BIOSes, nor any DOS support hot swapping, for this you should write your own
> device driver, but this aplied for any DOS.
  There is no BIOS on board unless I write one. Is there a list of
BIOS functionality that is required by FreeDOS kernel? I need only the
file management and program load/exec part of FreeDOS. Is there a list
of BIOS functionality that is required by this part of FreeDOS? I
might need to take a look of the kernel code if such a list does not
exist.

> 9V> I can write codes that make
> 9V> the raw R/W to the HD. Anything else (eg, serious kernel hacking) will
> 9V> be a big challenge thus is not feasible *to me*. I know that FreeDOS
> 9V> kernel provides the functionality, but I don't know how much I need to
> 9V> do before a trimmed FreeDOS kernel can run on my rather minimal
> 9V> hardware. Thank you.
>
>      FD should run on this your "minimal hardware" without trimming.
Thank you! That's good news.

vax, 9000