Hi Tom,

> the whole point is that in a shared programming effort (as the freedos
> kernel still should be) it's a waste of resources to change ANYTHING
> without a certain payback.

Lucho's payback is clear. He compiles with Borland C and compresses the
result, so that the *compressed* kernel fits in 40K. Not the uncompressed
usage matters but the compressed; as far as I understood, he has
exactly 40K left on his ROM for kernel.sys.

Anyway, for those not watching freedos-cvs, he removed the breaks and put
in some other optimizations now.

> in this case, removing 'break;' may have saved 5 bytes in the early
> 90ties, but is irrelevant (or even contraproductive) with optimizing
> compilers, and leads only to such irrelevant 'why was this changed'
> threads.

For Turbo: 6 bytes (2x jmp near). With Watcom and the #pragma aux
return_user aborts (so the compiler knows it can use jmp and not call) no
difference at all.

Bart