Thanks all for the information.

As everyone probably already knows, I have a similar background to Jeremy, with similar constraints. Here at HP, I now work on Linux clusters and we've been delivering products at an unprecedented rate. The cost is employee free time, as I typically put in 60+ hours per week all last summer in oder to meet schedule commitments.

I'd love to be more active. Instead, best I can do is the occasional comment. *Sigh*

Pat

Interim FreeDOS Kernel Maintainer wrote:

Arkady V.Belousov wrote:

Hi!

11-Янв-2005 12:19 [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Pat Villani) wrote to
freedos-kernel@lists.sourceforge.net:

PV> With all the unstable versions and private branches going around,

1. "official" 2035.
2. tom's "stable" fork (not very known).
3. Mine/Lucho "unstable" fork.
4. Kenneth tree, which is compomise between 2035 and (3) ("development"?).

PV> what is the "official" kernel?

     2035.

To clarify a little,
The latest release kernel is 2035 (1 above), that Bart released, I hope to have a 2035a released in a few weeks, but largely depends on if I continue having free time or not.

Tom maintains his own tree, which presently is very similar to 2035, it is available from his site. (2 above)

The "official" kernel is the sourceforge 'freedos' project 'kernel' cvs.
It has two branches, HEAD and UNSTABLE.

The UNSTABLE (3 above) branch is what I refer to as the development
kernel (kernels with w suffix).  This is where Arkady's, Lucho's, and
my work is done.  It is for those wanting to make major changes or
otherwise controversial changes.  The unstable is because the changes
here are less tested and there may occasionally be regressions or bugs
that hopefully will not show in a stable release.

The HEAD (4 above) branch is where released versions are made from.  It
follows a development model similar to what Bart and Tom have been
doing.  Fixes and changes from the UNSTABLE branch will be merged into
here as I review them and/or they are decently tested.  Some changes
may not be merged or merged slower than necessary to avoid the fun
[read unwanted banter] that would occur.

Head is meant to remain as a stable branch for those needing a stable kernel for their product [personal or commercial] or those not wanting to help improve the kernel. The dev branch is meant for those who are willing to help improve the kernel (or simply have a program that needs a fix yet to be merged). Patches are accepted for both branches, but those to the dev series may be applied quicker or with less rigorous review than patches to the stable series.

compiled cvs kernels (updated daily) are available as: (they correspond to OW compiled for 8086 with Fat32) www.fdos.org/kernel/kernel.sys for stable www.fdos.org/kernel/kernel.dev.sys for dev series (ren to kernel.sys)

If it is still not clear, please ask and I will try to clear up
any confusion remaining.  [In case you missed it, I am presently
the acting kernel maintainer, at least until someone speaks up
and indicates they would like the role.]  I do have plans for
what I would like to do, but I make no commitments, only say that
if something needs fixing, then bug me til its fixed, least I
get side tracked.

As an aside, I have an M.S. in computer science, and do this
for fun, not related to professional activity, so user/developer
feedback tends to spur what I work on.  I think it is great that
that you still read these lists (even if only occasionally) and
value your input (along with Bart's, Tom's, Jim's, Arkady's, Lucho's,
and the others that have worked on the kernel).  You may find I tend
to be quiet, but I do read all the messages on the list (when
my email isn't being too flaky).

Jeremy
:-)

------------------------------------------------------- The SF.Net email is sponsored by: Beat the post-holiday blues Get a FREE limited edition SourceForge.net t-shirt from ThinkGeek. It's fun and FREE -- well, almost....http://www.thinkgeek.com/sfshirt _______________________________________________ Freedos-kernel mailing list Freedos-kernel@lists.sourceforge.net https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/freedos-kernel