Hello Alain,

One question, did you happen to manage how does WinNT perform with
such an "enlarged" FAT system?
I'm tired of the fact that I have to either partition or use NTFS
(rather problematic if you protect your "Documents and settings" with
password and then windows gets trashed), and it could be a very nice
solution to just FORMAT using FreeDOS FORMAT to create huge FAT
partitions, and then use them normally, even with WindowsNT:

BTW, it would be such a nice advantage, that I am suspicious that
Microsoft may have a good reason not to, any idea?
I hope it's not just a commercial technique to try to push users into NTFS.

Cheers to all!
Aitor

2008/9/9 Alain M. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> Hi all,
>
> I just tested the FreeDOS format on the big disk. IT WORKS FLAWLESSLY :)
>
> the previous problem was due to a too old kernel. I used the one from
> Rugxulo labeled as fat-security.
>
> - Fdisk did everything as expected
>     SATA2 500Gb disk one 100% partition
> - Format did everything as expected both in quick mode of surfece scan
>     Warning: Each FAT is 119208 sectors, > 16MB-64k, Win9x incompatible
>     FreeDOS goes well beyond old MS-DOS limits
> - Disk booted normaly
> - Machine is an Athlon X2 4400+ dual core, with 2Gb RAM. I may be that
> this insane amount of memory (matches the insane size of the disk)
> helped to avoid the reported "too big disk" message.
>
> See more below...
>
>>> 1) new disk was used with Linux, but a first primary partition was made
>>> but never formated
>>
>> Make sure it is flagged as fat32 and as lba. Check possible
>> messages from initdisk early during freedos boot as well.
>>
>> I recently tried making a DOS bootable partition on a new
>> disk, too, and found: 1. I had to mimick a "fdisk /mbr"
>> to make anything boot 2. I had to say my partition is LBA
>> and bootable. 3. I had to tell sys-freedos-linux that the
>> disk and offset are 255 (auto) and 63 (see fdisk -u -l in
>> Linux) respectively as mkdosfs had failed to set those. I
>> also told sys-freedos-linux to use LBA style boot sectors
>> to avoid any geometry troubles but that was optional :-).
>
> I did all the tests in FreeDOS, nothing else ... Normal use is with GRUB
> which can handle all that without problem
>
>>> 2) booted FreeDOS 1.0, and with fdisk deleted everything and creared
>>> only one primary partition for the whole disk
>> Why did you delete the partition and make a new one again?
>> Same bugfix suggestions as for step 1.
>
> I had used that same disk for other tests, including Ubuntu...
>
>>> 3) rebooted
>>> 4) fdisk /mbr (to remove grub)