On Fri, 09 Dec 2016 02:07:24 -0700, David Kay wrote:
> Is it possible to get the kernel to load my program directly instead of
> via autoexec.bat? Then my system would just be composed of the kernel
> and my program?

Have you tried to declare your program in CONFIG.SYS using the SHELL=
directive ? Seems like an easy test that would provide you with the
answer you look for. Renaming your program to COMMAND.COM is also a
possible test, albeit perhaps less elegant. I wouldn't expect troubles,
but as usual, testing it out is the only way to be sure.

cheers,
Mateusz