An anonymous user emailed this to me via the formmail:

anonymous wrote:
iolo technologies, a computer software developer specializing on system utilities, is using FreeDOS in their DriveScrubber product. DriveScrubber is an utility designed to completely shred a disk (from beginning to the end). DriveScrubber (hereinafter DS) contained FreeDOS in its bootdisk (DS, probably in order to bypass various protections and locks [required to do disk wiping -- since Windows doesn't permit direct disk writing], operates in pure DOS environment).

You might notice that DS is using FreeDOS at the time of bootdisk making, because it copies familiar
FreeDOS system files to the disk [KERNEL.SYS, etc.], and when the bootdisk loads, it prints "Loading
command set... 123", and finally, when you enter VER /R (if you only do VER, you'll get nothing,
since iolo had removed many [almost all?] references to FreeDOS in the bootdisk -- e.g., you'll get no
FreeDOS name and version when command interpreter starts, ordinary VER command yields nothing), you'll get
"FreeDOS version ...".

We've mentioned Iolo before, so I wasn't thinking about posting a new news item about them on FreeDOS.org. However, the last time Iolo came up, it was because DriveScrubber didn't exactly comply with the GNU GPL.

<http://www.freedos.org/freedos/news/bits/drivescrubber.html>

I don't have a floppy drive to write the image file, and I don't run Windows (required to write the image file.) So I'm kind of stuck here ... I'm not able to determine if Iolo has resolved the 3a or 3b section of the GNU GPL.

<http://www.freedos.org/freedos/news/bits/drivescrubber2.html>

Is anyone on the FreeDOS list willing to write the image file to a floppy, and see what they do for 3a or 3b?

-jh

-- _____________________________________________________________________________ This email message has been automatically encrypted using ROT-26.

From Windows to Linux, servers to mobile, InstallShield X is the one
installation-authoring solution that does it all. Learn more and