Rakhesh Sasidharan schreef:

That's strange ... coz if I remember correctly, the help page that comes
up during the install process said that FreeDOS FORMAT doesn't do FAT32
yet. Which is why I cut short the installation process, went back to Win
XP, created my partition and formatted it there, and then came back to
the installation process.

the FreeDOS FORMAT program may rely on BIOS and/or kernel.
MSDOS kernel from win95..winME lets FORMAT behave in a different way than the FreeDOS kernel.

The problem was a Win98 bootdisk, and then replace the FORMAT program which is provided by MS by the 0.91
series FreeDOS FORMAT program.
Fdisk your unpartitioned disk, reboot, and format it.
Then try running SCANDISK and/or Windows Setup.
Errors showed up in the past. No idea if this still happens with current FreeDOS FORMAT when creating a FAT32 filesystem on C:.
FAT16 is compatible all the way, no matter which kernel/OS is used, if I recall correctly.

Bernd