Let us hope the MBR is not screwed up and it doesn't sound like it is.

Next time save the MBR before doing OS installs if you have a boot loader
which I think you do.

If you reinstall Windows, it will overwrite the MBR and you might have a
hard time booting to Linux.

Having said all the above ...

I think this will fix your problem.

Make a Windows (MS-DOS) boot disk with SYS.COM on the disk. If you can't
boot this could be hard. If you don't have a boot disk, you can usually
download one from the Internet. Also you could make one from some other
computer.

Please don't tell me you have ME because I don't want to know about ME and
its DOS. If you do have ME you may want to disregard my advice.

Boot from the MS boot disk and then type:

SYS A: C:

This will not affect the MBR but will write a new boot sector on drive C.

It will also transfer IO.SYS and COMMAND.COM from A: to C:. I forgot if it
transfers MSDOS.SYS, but I think so. Be sure to *backup C:\MSDOS.SYS* as
you WILL want it in the event SYS causes it to be overwritten.

Also, you can put the FreeDOS utilities on D:, but you can't boot from D:
without some kind of special boot loader that I know nothing about.