I merged in this message  feedback I got from people at fd-user list
about my comment that Pictview does not work under Freedos.

EA>Hi Jas, Arkady, the described problem (on freedos-user) sounds like
EA>the "findfirst/findnext has the wrong treatment for attribute selection
EA>versus disk label" problem which got discussed a few months ago. Maybe
EA>you can do some experiments in that direction.

  I do not remember that discussion;do you mean functions 4E/4F of INT 21?
 Pictview does not seem to use them,unless there are wildcards in filename.
 It seems to fail on function 3D,file open, but I could not find why.It tries
to open the data file read-only and fails.It's all I know hitherto

AB> Do you try development version of kernel? For example, from Beta9sr1= ?

  I tried a kernel from your branch,dated 5 september 2004.It is what
 I have been usng almost daily.

Bruce>The problem I had was not FreeDOS related but something was odd about
Bruce>Pictview not finding the file. I tried relative paths, absolute paths
Bruce>and etc.

 But Pictview works for me under DR-DOS with every (legal) filename and
 path combination I tried,and always fails under FreeDOS.

JAS