Good day:

You do not HAVE to use the SYSLINUX loader.  I've been successful
using the El Torito standard (with 1.44 or 2.88 MByte) boot sectors
on CD's.  The trick is getting a proper floppy disk image file.

I did it this way because I've also been fiddling with MS-DOS boot
CD's and haven't played with ISOLINUX for those yet.

These CD images can be created from the boot floppy image file using
mkisofs -b imagefile.img -c catalog ...

I got the 2.88MByte boot disk image I'm using from
www.fdos.org/bootdisks.  I mounted the image file
(using a program called VFD on Windows XP), configured it
the way I wanted it, and then used it to build an ISO file for
a bootable CD.

I'm actually building these on Windows XP, but the basic process
is the same.  You can put a CD-ROM driver in config.sys and
access the rest of the CD as a seperate drive letter.  The
computer basically acts like it was booted from a floppy drive
and the floppy disk image ends up mapped as A:, not C:
(which is where the boot device is  if you use the ISOLINUX boot
loader).

No special drivers are required at all...it's just like booting from a
floppy.  You don't even need a CD-ROM driver unless you want to
access more than 2.88 MBytes!  :-)  You don't need eltorito.sys or
anything else that you would not need for booting from a floppy disk.
No ISOLINUX, no ISOLINUX.CFG...

Hope this helps.

Mark