Hi Eric,

You wrote:
> Hi, for using Linux to make an USB stick bootable, please do the following:
> Use fdisk to mark the partition on the stick as active / bootable
> Copy FreeDOS files to the partition, at least command com and kernel sys
> (can be found e.g. on http://fdos.org/kernel/ and freedos.sourceforge.net)
> Use my tool to write a boot sector to the partition on the stick:
> http://www.coli.uni-sb.de/~eric/stuff/soft/specials/sys-freedos-linux.zip

hmm.

I tried the following:

- cleared any partition information:
        dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdb bs=8k count=2
- created new partition-table:
        fdisk /dev/sdb
        - created primary partition 1 and marked as bootable

fdisk output:
Command (m for help): p

Disk /dev/sdb: 255 MB, 255852544 bytes
8 heads, 61 sectors/track, 1024 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 488 * 512 = 249856 bytes

/dev/sdb1   *           1        1024      249825+   6  FAT16

Command (m for help): x

Expert command (m for help): p

Disk /dev/sdb: 8 heads, 61 sectors, 1024 cylinders

Nr AF  Hd Sec  Cyl  Hd Sec  Cyl     Start      Size ID
 1 80   1   1    0   7  61 1023         61     499651 06
 2 00   0   0    0   0   0    0          0          0 00
 3 00   0   0    0   0   0    0          0          0 00
 4 00   0   0    0   0   0    0          0          0 00

- create new FAT16 filesystem:
        mkdosfs -F 16 /dev/sdb1

- tried to run "sys-freedos.pl":
        sys-freedos.pl --disk=/dev/sdb
        which reports: "not 512 bytes per sector"

What does this complaint mean?

Robert Urban