Brolin schreef:
I think maybe you misunderstood what I said. I can't test "with and without HIMEM and EMM386" because the problems with WD only occur when using FreeCOM (not FreeDOS, i.e. the kernel) on Win98. There are no problems when using any of the following combinations:
- Microsoft COMMAND.COM on Win98
- Microsoft COMMAND.COM on MS-DOS (the version shipped with Win98)
- FreeCOM on FreeDOS

Maybe loading FreeCOM permanently would work better.
in CONFIG.SYS this would be a line
SHELL=C:\FREEDOS\COMMAND.COM C:\FREEDOS\ /E:1024 /D /P

remove the /D if you want autoexec.bat executed.

no idea if this would be ANY help at all, but it's all I can suggest.

You then won't be able to bootup win98, I'm afraid..no LFN/VFAT awareness in FreeCOM.

Bernd