Good morning, Michael, Eric, et al:

The addition of "NOEMS" to the EMM386 startup in config.sys
caused the following error when executing the INSTALLHIGH.

DOS/32A fatal (1002):  DOS reported insufficient memory

It did eliminate the complaints about page frames and
no suitable UMB memory block. The test computer is a
Dell Inspiron D600 laptop, usually tied to a docking
station and using a USB floppy drive or CD to boot
FreeDOS.

So far, NTFS4DOS INSTALLHIGH works with UMBPCI but not
with EMM386.  I have 213K of conventional memory free when
running NTFS4DOS from the command line or using INSTALLHIGH
with EMM386 and 550K of conventional memory free when
using UMBPCI.  In other words, entry 3 (without NOEMS)
leaves insufficient conventional memory and entry 4
works as desired.

config.sys for latest test:

!LASTDRIVE=Z
!BUFFERS=20
!FILES=40
!DOS=HIGH,UMB
!DOSDATA=UMB
!set dircmd=/ogn
!MENUCOLOR=7,0
MENUDEFAULT=1,5
MENU 1 - Load FreeDOS including HIMEM XMS-memory driver
MENU 2 - Load FreeDOS + HIMEM + EMM386
MENU 3 - Load NTFS4DOS with EMM386
MENU 4 - Load NTFS4DOS with UMBPCI
SHELL=a:\command.com /p
1234?DEVICE=A:\FDOS\HIMEM.EXE
23?DEVICE=A:\FDOS\EMM386.EXE X=TEST MEMCHECK VDS NOEMS
4?DEVICE=a:\fdos\umbpci.sys
34?installhigh=a:\datapol\ntfs4dos.exe a:\command.com /k

Without NOEMS, the INSTALLHIGH completes without error
and NTFS4DOS is loaded, but it appears to be loaded into
conventional memory.  Using UMBPCI, it appears to be
loaded into upper memory.

Thanks again for all of your help.

Mark